Considered one of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s present workers within the state’s govt chambers has alleged inappropriate sexual conduct by him, making her the sixth girl to explain undesirable sexual advances, and the fifth particular person he labored with to take action, in response to a report from the Instances-Union.
The girl reportedly informed her supervisors that Cuomo touched her inappropriately when she was summoned to work on the governor’s mansion late final 12 months. Requested in regards to the allegations throughout a press name on Tuesday afternoon, Cuomo denied any information of them, although the Instances-Union had reached out to Cuomo’s workplace and acquired a remark from Beth Garvey, Cuomo’s appearing counsel.
Cuomo’s workplace didn’t return our request for additional remark; Garvey had informed the Instances-Union, “All allegations that we be taught of straight or not directly are going promptly to the investigators appointed by the lawyer common.”
“I’m not conscious of some other claims,” Cuomo stated through the press name. “That is quite simple. I by no means touched anybody inappropriately.”
He additionally reiterated what he stated throughout a press convention final week: “Nobody ever informed me on the time that I made them really feel uncomfortable… Nobody each informed me that they felt, on the time, that I made them really feel uncomfortable or awkward.”
Of the six accounts, 4 of the ladies say they had been touched inappropriately by Cuomo.
Cuomo, who referred to as for Eric Schneiderman’s resignation in 2018 — when Schneiderman was accused of bodily abuse by a number of romantic companions earlier than a proper investigation had been performed — was requested through the press name what was completely different about this case.
“There are a spectrum of allegations,” he stated. “You recognize allegations. You don’t know info… Let’s get the info after which we are able to have a dialogue on the info.”
The Instances-Union’s didn’t have additional particulars in regards to the girl’s identification or her account, although if corroborated, the girl can be the one present staffer to come back ahead with allegations of sexual harassment, in addition to the newest instance of it.
The allegations of Cuomo appearing inappropriately now span twenty years.
- Karen Hinton’s account is from 2000, when Cuomo led the U.S. Division of Housing and City Improvement and he or she was press secretary. She described Cuomo summoning her to a dimly lit resort room the place he pulled her in for a protracted, uncomfortable embrace.
- Ana Liss, who labored in Cuomo’s workplace between 2013 and 2015, was informed by one other staffer on the time to put on heels, and that Cuomo preferred blondes. She informed Gothamist that Cuomo frequently kissed her on the cheek.
- Lindsey Boylan, the primary girl to come back ahead on February twenty fourth, recounted how Cuomo joked about enjoying strip poker, went out of his technique to contact components of her physique and kissed her when she was in his Manhattan workplace in 2018.
- Charlotte Bennett, 25, stated Cuomo requested her questions on sexual intimacy and whether or not she would date older males when she labored in his workplace final 12 months.
- Anna Ruch by no means labored for Cuomo, solely met him in passing at a marriage in 2019, the place she says he slipped his arm down her again, grabbed her face in each arms, and kissed her on the cheek.
Political stress has been mounting from all sides on Cuomo as he faces dueling controversies: his coverup of nursing residence deaths and sexual harassment allegations. Senate Majority Chief Andrea Stewart-Cousins referred to as for Cuomo’s resignation on Sunday, and Meeting Speaker Carl Heastie stopped simply wanting doing the identical, saying Cuomo ought to “significantly contemplate” whether or not he can proceed to steer the state.
Cuomo and his prime aides had been reportedly calling state lawmakers to rally help this week, after which 21 feminine Meeting Members penned an announcement demanding Lawyer Basic Letitia James be allowed to finish her investigation, although James has the facility to research the sexual harassment claims whether or not or not Cuomo is bodily in workplace. A small tranche of extra left-leaning Democrats have been calling for Cuomo’s resignation for weeks now, and reiterated their calls for after the most recent allegation emerged.
James appointed former federal prosecutor Joon H. Kim and employment discrimination lawyer Anne L. Clark to probe the sexual harassment allegations. The Division of Justice is investigating the Cuomo administration’s dealing with of nursing properties and COVID-19 instances through the pandemic..