Regardless of insisting he left politics on the door within the early days of the pandemic, Governor Andrew Cuomo gave the impression to be obsessive about how the general public seen him throughout the early days of the pandemic, whereas pre-empting Mayor Invoice de Blasio’s personal pandemic reduction initiatives, and even violating state guidelines by printing drafts of his ebook on government-owned printers, in accordance with a dangerous report by the Washington Put up.
The report on Saturday detailed Cuomo—now embroiled in dueling scandals involving his dealing with of nursing residence deaths and claims of inappropriate conduct in direction of ladies—outlined a number of behind-the-scenes accounts that detailed the next:
- He commissioned numerous polls that requested whether or not he was doing a greater job in dealing with the pandemic in comparison with Dr. Anthony Fauci, Mayor Invoice de Blasio, Senate Majority Chief Chuck Schumer, after which presidential candidate Joe Biden. Wealthy Azzopardi, a spokesperson for Cuomo, informed the Washington Put up that the governor commonly commissions polls to find out his standing with the general public.
- Enlisted Melissa De Rosa, secretary to the governor, to assist him write his ebook, and printed drafts from government-issued computer systems in violation of state ethics guidelines.
- Used government-issued computer systems in violation of state ethics guidelines to print variations of his notorious “New York Powerful” poster, which was paid for by his marketing campaign.
- Ensured de Blasio, a longtime rival of Cuomo, would obtain destructive headlines by pre-empting the mayor’s bulletins along with his personal. One occasion concerned state workers scrambling to create its personal antibody testing program after studying town was about to launch an equal program. Azzopardi informed the Washington Put up that, “Coverage shifts did occur every day because the info on the bottom concerning the pandemic modified every day.”
- Saying the four-phase reopening plan as staffers realized concerning the phases the identical time as the general public and pivoting to hold out the coverage. This additionally utilized to his so-called micro-cluster plan, wherein oddly carved out color-coded maps have been initially distributed.
- Routinely requested his aides learn how to enhance his scores for his televised information conferences and to extend the period of time the networks carried them, which Azzopardi stated was “essential to the state’s response.”
READ MORE: Ethics Considerations Over Cuomo’s $4 Million Guide Payout Punted To Cuomo-Managed Ethics Company
Azzorpardi didn’t reply to a request for remark from Gothamist/WNYC on the veracity of the Washington Put up report. Invoice Neidhardt, a spokesperson for de Blasio, informed the Put up he discovered it “disturbing” to see on a regular basis and energy spent by aides in serving to him craft the ebook.
The revelations show a departure from the early days of the pandemic for Cuomo, whose repute as a nationally recognized governor was constructed on casting politics apart. Throughout information conferences, Cuomo would rail towards President Donald Trump for politicizing the pandemic, and start increase his nationwide picture the purpose the place he had been thought-about a 2024 presidential candidate or perhaps a nominee for U.S. Lawyer Basic.
There have since been calls by elected leaders for Cuomo to step down as governor. Cuomo insists he did nothing incorrect.