Final week, Governor Andrew Cuomo introduced that New York Metropolis film theaters, which have been closed since March 2020, will be capable to reopen at 25% capability—or a most of fifty individuals—beginning on March fifth. Though not each cinema or chain was prepared, and even smitten by opening instantly, a lot of them can be doing so this Friday. However since we’re nonetheless in a pandemic, your moviegoing expertise could also be a bit much less salty and buttery than you keep in mind.
Some unbiased film theaters are selecting to forgo concessions and snacks initially whereas the town continues to be beneath heightened coronavirus pointers. That features IFC Heart, who introduced right now that they’ll don’t have any concession gross sales, and no consuming and consuming allowed in theaters (they may even have obligatory mask-wearing always). For some individuals, it might be a welcome change of tempo not having to cope with the distracting crunch of popcorn throughout them. But it surely additionally appears inevitable that loads of individuals will simply sneak in their very own snacks and “fancy juice.”
In its reopening plan, IFC Heart is unwilling to make…
… concessions. https://t.co/6xxI010BOe
— Scott Tobias (@scott_tobias) March 2, 2021
This is the place different main film theaters and chains in NYC stand on snack gross sales as of Tuesday:
- AMC is reopening all 13 of their cinemas in New York Metropolis this week, and you must anticipate their concession stands to be open (together with their contact-free drinks QR code).
- Nevertheless, Regal Cinemas has not set a reopening date right now. They said in a press release final week, “We’re inspired by the current announcement concerning the opening of theatres in New York Metropolis. Large films are made for the large display and as soon as LA opens, we’re assured within the studios holding their launch dates for brand new films permitting us to reopen our theatres.”
- Nitehawk Cinema Williamsburg and Nitehawk Cinema Prospect Park are reopening this Friday with concessions accessible. They are saying that moviegoers will obtain an “particular person order packet” after getting there “which features a sanitized pen and order playing cards. We’re solely accepting written orders to restrict verbal interactions.” As well as, they’re additionally giving free popcorn to anybody who flashes a well being care employee ID.
- Angelika Movie Heart & Village East Cinema are reopening Friday as properly, and they’re encouraging individuals to position their meals & drink orders on the Angelika Movie Heart cellular app.
- Movie Discussion board is not planning to reopen till April 2nd, and as of now, it would accomplish that WITHOUT its concession stand open. IPIC within the Monetary District is planning to reopen March thirty first, and may have “menu objects.”
- Cinema Village in Greenwich Village, Alpine Cinema in Bay Ridge and Cinemart in Queens are hoping to reopen across the begin of April as properly.
- Cobble Hill Cinemas say they’re hoping to reopen on March nineteenth for weekends solely for the time being, and their concessions stand can be open as properly. They’re additionally planning on opening Williamsburg Cinemas beginning March twelfth on weekends.
- Metrograph says they’re nonetheless evaluating all of the “security & logistical” particulars earlier than saying a reopening date.
- Movie at Lincoln Heart may even stay closed for now: “We proceed to observe the state of affairs carefully and can share additional details about our plans to reopen when potential.”
- Alamo Drafthouse and Quad Cinema haven’t set reopening dates but.
However this is the query that’s in all probability most closely weighing in your thoughts proper now, if you’re the type of pioneer inclined to enterprise to a cinema this weekend: what are you able to see? A couple of potential Oscar nominees, together with Nomadland, Judas & The Black Messiah, The Father and Minari can be screening at Nitehawk and Angelika, whereas AMC may have a mixture of family-friendly movies (together with Tom & Jerry, Raya & The Final Dragon), a few movies launched late in 2020 (Information Of The World, Marvel Lady 1984) and a few newer ones.
However most significantly, Tenet will lastly be screening in NYC at 5 areas: AMC Lincoln Sq., AMC Empire, AMC Kips Bay, Village East by Angelika in 70mm and Showcase Cinemas Jamaica (it’s going to additionally open on IMAX screens on March twelfth at AMC Lincoln Sq.). Christopher Nolan’s overly-convoluted spy thriller could not have been capable of singlehandedly save the film trade in the course of the pandemic, however it will certain make a enjoyable first movie to see on a giant display once more.